Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Finding Success at the Gym


What is success for you? How do you define it?

For me, one way to define success is achieving/accomplishing goals.


Today I found success at the gym.


It was another Legs/Abs workout, and after taking my pre-workout C4 and warming up on the treadmill, I was ready to go beast-mode on my exercises!

I started off with some Barbell Squats at 90 and 95 lbs. to get my quads ready. (A quick note: 90 lbs. refers only to the weights added to the bar. It does not include the weight of the bar. This is my method for recording my lifts.) After that I wanted to hop on the Leg Press and get my workout started, but some dude was busy on it. Boo.

*Let me quickly share something about this dude. He had four plates (my term for 45 lbs.) on either side, making his push 360 lbs. As I was walking past the machine, what I thought were calf presses were in fact his way of training his legs. He brought the weights down only several inches, accomplishing nothing. I kid you not, his knees barely bent. Remember this, newbs: It doesn’t matter how much weight you’re pushing. Without proper form you run the risk of hurting yourself. Not to mention, you’re wasting your time.

Okay, I moved past the Leg Press and decided to get my Seated Leg Curls done while I waited for this guy. I did four sets at 90 and 105 lbs., the dude moved on and I was ready to do one of my favorite exercises. The Leg Press is where I found success today. You see, inside the big goal of being in shape and such, I continuously set and meet small goals such as weight amounts. When I first used a Leg Press two months ago I only put two plates on the machine, keeping the total at 90 lbs. While I certainly could have done more from the get-go, I made a commitment before I started this journey that I would emphasize quality lifts over heavy ones
Fast forward two months and slowly adding weights, today I pushed two sets with four plates. That’s 180 lbs. One half of what dude was pushing with his inches. I set a goal of hitting the four plates level, and I made it. Talk about motivation!

*Let me mention again that it means nothing if you load up the weights and don’t exercise proper form. Read some fitness advice articles and you’ll quickly learn that the number one mistake people make is elevating their ego in the gym. It’s pride that makes you pack on the plates to impress those around you. While 180 lbs. isn’t much, especially for a Leg Press, keep in mind that I’m bringing my thighs to my chest when I do this exercise. 
Next time you’re pushing 360 lbs. or whatever you think your max is, try executing proper form and watch what happens.

*Also, the regulars are more than aware of any newcomer. They’re also aware of said newcomer’s improper form, and none of them are impressed. They’re only annoyed that you’re sweating all over the equipment and not wiping anything down…

Success comes in many forms. The success I found today adds fuel to the fire that is my commitment to fitness. Get out there and tackle your own success. You’ll never know what you’re made of until you try.

You are stronger than you think.


Cheers, and stay motivated

S

No comments:

Post a Comment