Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Regimen


Hello again, fellow fitness-minded/interested people!

Today was another cardio day, and I made sure I gave it my all. The intensity we display in the gym can foster healthy, “gung-ho” attitudes in our regular lives. So if you find yourself in the gym in the next couple of days, try pushing to the max and discover what you’re really made of. I’m sure you’ll find that you’re much stronger than you think!

Last time I talked about the process in choosing my workout program. Today I will go over the regimen and talk a little about goals and their importance.

As I said in my last blog, I started the “Lean Body Program” by Lee Labrada. It’s a twelve week program, and I’m currently in its seventh week. Since beginning this journey, my strength has increased, and my weight has decreased. I’m encouraged, excited and motivated to finish strong.



The program follows a two on, one off plan. This means I do strength training for two days and not on the third. However, my third days are spent doing cardio, so I don’t actually have any “off days.” In fact, Labrada suggests I run 30 minutes at least four times a week. I tend to do a lot more.

Day one is Back/Biceps. My back exercises have been familiar ones such as barbell/dumbbell rows, as well as unfamiliar ones such as deadlifts. The biceps exercises, for the most part, I knew before starting the program: alternate curls, standing barbell curls, preacher curls, etc. This day is also a cardio one, as I am supposed to do 30 minutes.

Day two is Chest/Shoulders/Triceps. This is a touch day, as chest workouts are very foreign to me. Only after seven weeks of doing bench presses have I finally begun perfecting the form and to cease struggling with balance. I enjoy doing dumbbell bench presses more, as I’m not so intimidated. My shoulders/triceps exercises have all been very enjoyable: side lateral raises, shoulder presses, triceps extensions, bench dips, etc. This day is cardio as well, so I do 30 minutes.



Day three is cardio. As I stated, on the third day I get a break from lifting weights, but not from doing cardio. I am supposed to do thirty minutes of high intensity training. I tend to use a bike or the elliptical; however, very recently I have begun using the treadmill quite consistently.

Day four is Legs/Abs. This day is a doozy (I have a cousin whose name is Doozy). Before starting this program, I don’t think I had worked my legs a day in my life. Now it’s become a favorite! The leg exercises include: squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, lunges, leg curls, etc., etc. The ab exercises are typical: crunches, leg raises, etc. Labrada suggests I don’t do cardio on Legs/Abs days, as it’s already a heavy workout.
Day five is back to the beginning with Back/Biceps, and day six is cardio. This path continues, staying consistent with two on, one off.

There you have it. I have been following this plan consistently for six weeks. Technically I should be in my eighth week, but I took a week off to deal with a cold that had developed. It’s an awesome program, and I recommend it to anyone with similar goals. Ahh, goals….

I don’t care what your mindset is, but goals are imperative for success. I made short-term goals when I started “Lean Body” that I focus on daily. Here are a few of them:

  •          Lose weight and get down to 150 lbs.
  •          Be more comfortable in my favorite clothes.
  •          See ab definition when standing relaxed.
  •          Attain a cut between my bicep and my shoulder.
  •         (Recently added) – Run a 5k.


I also made some long-term goals:

  •          Be in better shape at 29 then I’ve ever been in my life.
  •          Have six visible abs.
  •          One day compete on stage in a men’s physique competition.
  •          One day be a personal trainer (maybe).


By having these goals, I’m able to keep my focus and stay motivated. In the next blog I’ll talk more in depth about these goals, share which ones I have reached, and how I’m staying motivated.

Till then,

Cheers, and stay motivated

S

No comments:

Post a Comment